Thursday, August 14, 2008

Scobey: A small town with a big heart


Scobey is a small town, no doubt about it.  The local fair parade had to go up and down Main Street for length.  We were invited to join in the parade as well so we hung our signs on the bus and waved like crazy out the windows.          Scobey, Montana boasts a population of 1,082 and thousands of acres of farm land.  It hovers just 16 miles from the Canadian border.  The town of Scobey is like one big family and after they welcomed us into it, we felt right at home.  The local swim team was on the float in front of us.  They were well-armed with water guns and large buckets of water.  Our RV has never been so clean.  The swimteam used their new-found powers well and jumped off their float to soak the police officers as well.      
    At the fair we saw our first Wild Horse race and learned more about Rodeo traditions.  Everyone was patient enough to anwser our uneducated farming questions (What is the difference between straw and hay?  What exactly does 'combining' entail?  And what do cows eat?)    The rodeo arena was packed for the show.  We pulled our tour bus right up back stage and gave a couple of tours :)      After the show we got a chance to meet a lot of great people and we even stuck around for the 4-H dance.  There we learned how to line dance, and a twelve-year-old named Jacob taught me how to slow dance.  
    We played basketball with Debra and Mike and some other kids from Scobey while Mom and Dad chatted with Phyllis and her husband, the local judge.  It was a lot of fun and we were sad to leave but the road was calling us onward.  Alaska was in our sights now and we had thousands of miles (and even more kilometers) to go before we could sleep. 

2 comments:

Aurelia Raven said...

Lolz. That looks like so much fun you guys ^_^ I just had a water fight last night. At first I was surprised that you didn't know the difference between straw and hay, but then I had to remind myself that the only reason I knew was because half of my family are farmers.
I love reading the blog. I check it everyday. Knowing what you guys are doing and all the wonderful pictures helps to soothe the ache in my heart. I won't rest (figuratively, because I have a very important test tomorrow.) until I find a way to see you.
Give my love to the family.
Chloe.

Anonymous said...

hi,
im from Opheim, Mt, a small town just outside of Scobey. i actually know that boy named Jacob, and i love that kid. lol