Sunday, August 3, 2008

Caught without a bookstore (Written on the day of the disaster, posted when internet became available)

    I had to ask the question one more time.  "You're telling me that there are no bookstores, in a 200 mile radius of Glendive, Montana?"  The grocery clerk frowned.  "No...I mean yes."  Her frown deepened.  She had obviously never thought of this as a problem before.  "I think there was a bookstore in Sydney at one point, but it's long gone now.  Where are you heading?"  
    I flinched, knowing immediately what her reaction would be when I told her the anwser.  It would be the same reaction that everyone gave when they heard about our destination.  But I had to tell her.  How else would I find a bookstore?  "Umm...Scobey?"  
    Even though I knew it was coming, her laughter grated uncomfortably against my ear drums.  "Scobey?"  She balked, shaking her head.  "Honey, there isn't nothing in Scobey."  

                                           My fate had been sealed.

Normally being caught without a bookstore was not a life or death expereience.  Normally I could go for days, weeks, without needing a bookstore.  But today was different, incomprehensibly, irrevocably different.  Today was the day that Stephanie Meyer's new book Breaking Dawn came out.

I know what you're thinking.  Big deal.  It's just a vampire book.  But for me it's always been different.  I was captivated the moment I started reading Twilight and I have been addicted ever since.  I locked myself away for days when I received the first book for my birthday.  I cried like a baby through most of the second book and anytime anyone mentioned it for a week afterward I would start crying all over again.  I even composed a song about it (the lullaby that the vampire Edward wrote for Bella).  

And so now, I find myself at my wit's end and without a bookstore.  "In 5 days we'll be in Great Falls, MT."  Dad assured me.  "You can wait for 5 days."  

Honestly, I have my doubts.

6 comments:

fschroyer1 said...

I know what you mean. I still havn't gotten the book yet because I'm still studying another piece of literature. My script. I've gotten the lead role in Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap" and I'm sooooo excited. Tell me how amazing the new book is when you get around to it??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica of ShaeLaurel said...

I just got the book! (In Haver, Montana) And you're right Erin, it's absolutely amazing! I haven't been able to put it down (I'm already half way through it). My dad and I are putting together a recording of Bella's Lullaby which I'll post up as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for your comments :)

Jessica

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara said...

Ah, I know how that feels...I was on vacation when the final Harry Potter book came out...I couldn't get it for two weeks! I never got into the Twilight series. I've heard mixed reviews, but once I heard it called "The new Harry Potter" I think, for me, that meant that I would never read Twilight, how could I betray Harry Potter? haha, I'm a nerd, yes trust me I know. I'm going to attempt nanowrimo this year for the first time! To say the least? it'll be interesting...
Sara

Sara said...

I just started reading Twilight yesterday...and I can't put it down! Unfortunately life comes in the way by the form of work, and that darn thing called responsibilities...so I'm only at chapter 11, all the while I should be writing for NaNoWriMo. But my laptop decided to wimp out October 31, perfect timing. I don't even mind anymore, when I have Twilight to read! I'm so looking forward to the movie now, having that originally be the reason I started to read the book...already so worth it!!!