Friday, August 1, 2008

Query Letter Madness

Over the past few days I have managed to drive my entire family crazy.  The reason?  Query letters.  In order to get a novel published on an outrageous, or even rather mediocre scale, you need to find an agent who is willing to relentlessly push you and your book upon every unsuspecting Publisher who moves within grabbing range.
To catch said agent, you must in turn, relentlessly push yourself and your book on any unsuspecting agent who moves within grabbing range.  This process creates a vicious, wordy cycle that can potentially alter your sanity levels and rocket your book to unprecedented heights or sink it to the bottom of the sea.  (Hopefully the former.)  This means that my entire family has to soothe/cajole/coax me into a mental state that resembles sanity, and hold my hand every time I attempt to push the SEND button on another letter.  It was, amazingly, a relief to receive my first rejection.  I jumped around our house (RV if you want to be picky,) giving everyone high fives with a rather idiotic grin on my face.
(Picture omitted to protect the mentally impared.)
On the plus side, after only a week I have also received a request for the first five pages of my book.  (Another few days of madness ensuing.)  It has been a Jessi-imposed emotional rollercoaster for the entire family.  Just wait until someone asks for the entire manuscript...

1 comment:

Sara said...

cool! Good luck!
Sara